According to Harp Magazine, ROCKGRL magazine and Berklee College of Music will honor Fanny on the 20th April with their ROCKGRL Women of Valor Award. Formed in the late ‘60s, Fanny—guitarist June Millington, bassist Jean Millington, drummer Alice de Buhr, keyboardist Nickey Barclay—landed on Reprise Records in 1969 and released four albums for the label: Fanny, Charity Ball, Fanny Hill and the Todd Rundgren-produced Mother’s Pride
Whilst the Decemberists have been around for a number of years, and a friend of mine is a big fan, I have to confess - a few tunes aside - they have never really made much of a splash with me. With their fifth album - 'The Hazards of Love' - a 17-track concept album that sort of tells a story about a fair maiden ravished by a shape-shifting demon (no, really) - however, I am suddenly find myself surprisingly won over. On some levels - like most concept albums - it is utter tosh, but with its repeating musical motifs and reprises, making you quickly think that actually there are only about five actual songs on the album - a clever trick. Like with all good concept albums this makes listening on shuffle not the ideal way to digest this album - especially as their are short 'interlude' pieces joining all the songs too. Added to all this the fact that the band seem to have a love for early 70's British folk/prog/heavy metal and this walks right up my street - and will ...
Comments
That list also includes Watch Dog by Jules Shear and Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis Wilson. I know I could get them on Japanese imports but I don't want to spend a hundred bucks.