Kasim explains how he managed to get back into Todd's touring band "I just told him I'd have Phyllis do his laundry, mow his lawn, grocery shop, wash his dog AND his car, put up, decorate and then take down his Christmas Tree, clean his Infinity Pool, etc ... for the next 10 years. I also convinced Phyllis to carry a child to term for him if that was necessary."
Whilst the Decemberists have been around for a number of years, and a friend of mine is a big fan, I have to confess - a few tunes aside - they have never really made much of a splash with me. With their fifth album - 'The Hazards of Love' - a 17-track concept album that sort of tells a story about a fair maiden ravished by a shape-shifting demon (no, really) - however, I am suddenly find myself surprisingly won over. On some levels - like most concept albums - it is utter tosh, but with its repeating musical motifs and reprises, making you quickly think that actually there are only about five actual songs on the album - a clever trick. Like with all good concept albums this makes listening on shuffle not the ideal way to digest this album - especially as their are short 'interlude' pieces joining all the songs too. Added to all this the fact that the band seem to have a love for early 70's British folk/prog/heavy metal and this walks right up my street - and will ...
Comments