Sunday, May 16, 2004

Spin the black circle

Had a couple of people ask why I'd stopped doing this, so here we go again. What I've been listening to, this past week or so:

The Smiths: - 'The Queen is Dead'. Ahead of the new Morrissey album out next week (and after hearing the fantastic new single 'Irish Blood, English Heart') I decided to give one of my favourite smith's albums a few spins. Hard to beat songs like 'Cemetry Gates, 'Big Mouth', 'I Know it's Over' and 'The boy with the thorn in his side'. Still a great record.

Hole: - 'Celebrity Skin'.
Not sure what made me give this a spin, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was still a pretty decent album. Mad Courtney does write a good tune every now and again, and whilst this album lost the raw power of the excellent 'Live Through This', it was still a lot better than it ever got credit for being.

Nina Simone: - 'Sings the Blues' As they say, don't make 'em like this anymore. Not my favourite Simone album, but it's hard not to enjoy this record, and her great vocals on it, all the same. 'I want a little sugar in my bowl' never failing to raise a smile.

No comments: