Friday, October 31, 2008

The Knees - Sexual Radio

Whilst I have been a member and a fan of the Aime Street site (just got a revamp) for a couple of years, I have to confess I had not bought anything for a while.

But, then, the other day when one of the weekly update emails hit my inbox I caught a glimpse of the names Weezer and Liz Phair. Hang on, I thought. I like Weezer, and I LOVE Liz Phair. The mentions were from a description of a new york band called The Knees

What the hell, I thought, let's give them a go -so I logged in and downloaded their album 'Sexual Radio'

What an enjoyable, fun, record. I'll go as far as to say that when it works - as it does on tracks such as 'The Kind of Girl' (a hit single in the making), 'Loser Girlfriend', Sick of being Stoned, and 'Can't Stop Now' it is Wonderful.

So, is the Weezer/Phair comparison fair? There are certainly elements. I can see why people might mention Wheatus, The Donnas, and a few others as well. Not that this should stop you from checking this band out, if you like good guitar based pop/rock music.

The best thing I can say, as I sit here in London (UK) is that, this is a more enjoyable record than a great deal of those records relased by 'named' artists this year, and I would already love to see the band live - so I really need some more people (esp in the UK) to buy the record so that they can afford to come over and play (you can all sleeep on my floor if can't afford the accomodation guys, really).

Criticisms? They may over do the whoa-oh's .

No comments: