Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Veronicas - Hook me up

I first heard of Australian duo, The Veronicas at the end of last year, when I caught a few seconds of the title track of their current album. It stuck in my head, but the band's name didn't until the beginning of this year when I remembered and downloaded the album. I then forgot about it again, until a month ago, when I decided to give it a spin, and found that I loved it.

The band comprise Lisa and Jess Origliasso, 22 year old identical twin sisters. Their debut album was a pop/rock affair in the style of Avril lavigne /Ashlee Simpson et al. Whilst it showed hints of the twins' ability to pen catchy pop tunes it never really delivered on its initial promise. Move forward a few years and they have now delivered that promise in Spades with 'Hook Me Up' – a collection of infectious 80s influenced (Flashdance, Boys of summer as well as nods to Prince/Shelia E) synth pop/rock tunes.

The Video for Hook me up , with the whole schoolgirl uniform thing going on reminds you of Britney and Russian pair, taTu – the later is somehow appropriate as the girls had a hand in writing a hit for the Russians. On this album the girls have a hand in writing all but two of the songs on the album (excluding bonus track)

They are involved in co-writing all but 2 songs on the album, and Billy Steinberg (a man responsible for writing or co-writing songs such as Like a Virgin, True Colours, Alone, Precious Time, Eternal Flame, I Touch Myself, I'll Stand By You) also lends a hand to two tracks.

The album has been out elsewhere for between 1-2 years and is only just getting a UK release, but I predict that it will do big business in the UK, where the 80s and 80s come-back tours – Kajagoogoo, Spandau Ballet, Ultravox, ABC, Human League etc – are back in vogue. Add to that the like of Little Boots and La Roux leading to new wave of 80s synth pop, and it could not be a better time for the Veronicas.

Highlights of the album: Current single, 'Untouched', Yazoo verse sounding 'This Love', solid pop/rock ballad, 'Someone Wake me up', and album closer, and slow builder, 'In Another Life'.

No comments: