Sunday, June 20, 2004

Spin the black circle

I actually haven't managed to listen to much this past week, until the last 3 days, when my listening has been dominated by Velvet Revolver.

Velvet Revolver - 'Contraband'


I must confess the thought of Stone Temple Pilot front man Scott Weiland joining up with various ex Guns n Roses was something that sounded like a good idea (but ONLY on paper!) So , I have to confess to being pleasantly surprised by Contraband. It is, quite frankly, much better than it deserves to be. From the opening chords of 'Sucker Train Blues' right through until album closer 'Loving the alien', this album does exactly what it says on the tin. The sound is exactly as you think it'll be, and it's great. Play 'Spectacle', 'Slither', 'Headspace', 'Do it for the Kids' and just turn that volume up LOUD! Bizarrely on 'Superhuman' they actually remind me of the Dan Reed Network (!) Certainly the best Hard Rock album of the year.

No comments: