Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Work

David Polochanin in the Boston Globe mentioned Todd in realtion to great work / anti-work songs. " Many of us listen to music on the job, but it's surprising that relatively few songs have been written about the subject of work. However, over the years, a few classic antiwork anthems have become part of our culture songs like Todd Rundgren's "Bang the Drum All Day" or Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend." You're bound to hear one of these songs or perhaps both if you tune into your local pop music station on Friday at 5 p.m. But these become quite outdated. We need new work songs celebrating the places we spend more than half of our waking hours. I'd like to hear musicians get creative with some of these titles: "Who stole my 401(k)?"; "My two-hour lunch break"; "I'm happy over Happy Hour"; "Just expense it!"; and "My boss makes six times my salary." We're talking instant hits, here. Don't get any ideas, though, country artists ...

No comments: