Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Meatloaf

I promised a review of the new album so here it is. First off, I have to say that I was surprised to find myself enjoying this record more than I expected. It is - in my mind at least - better than Bat Part II.

Having said that, the pseudo new metal opening of Monster's Loose is rather ropey (with Meat sounding a bit crap), and that's before we get near anything like In the land of the pig ... which is frankly just fucking dreadful.

So what do I like? Well, some of the cheesy badness works very well with me, so I have found myself won over by the likes of Blind as a Bat (the title alone is just so bloody stupid, it is impossible not to love it), What about the Love, and Bad for Good (with Brian May noodling away on guitar) . Cry to Me, If God could talk, and The future ain't what it used to be are also passable in a naff kind of way.

What about It's all coming back to me now you say? Dig out the Pandora's Box version and hear how this song should sound in full over the top manner - again complete with Todd arranged vocals.

Overall, the problem is this record just goes on and on and on. It is far far too long. So by the end boredom has pretty much set in. Still my good will means that I would give this outing ***/*****

No comments: