Monday, May 07, 2007

James Marsters live at Union Chapel, London 04-05-2007

Not my usual kind of gig, but as a Birthday present to my flat mate in December of last year I arranged tickets to see Mr Marsters (known to many TV fans as Buffy's, Spike). Now funny enough I had already seen Mr Marsters on stage before - several years ago when he came on stage at a Four Star Mary gig.

For a while he had a band called Ghost of the Robot, but he disbanded then a couple of years ago and started performing solo and mostly acoustic.

What surprised me most (and for anyone who heard James sing in 'Once more with feeling' the classic Buffy musical episode will know what I mean) is how well he sang. He actually has a pleasant voice, especially on the quieter numbers. He is still not the greatest songwriter in the world, but there was some good stuff in there all the same.

Able support was supplied by Dan Akio Sherwood - who also displayed a nice sense of humour. If David Gray's guitar based stuff is your thing, then check the man out.

The Crowd was a rather strange collection, mostly made up of 'stalkers/fans' of Mr Marsters himself I felt rather than his music necessarily. Still, they, he, and us all seemed to have a pretty good time.

3 comments:

Joanne Little said...

Glad you enjoyed the concert. Actually James' fans do appreciate his music. It's down to earth, true to the heart lyrics. We all love James for who he is and his music is just another way he expresses himself to us.

Scott said...

Thanks for taking time to comment Joanne. It was a fun gig.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

It was a good gig and James really seemed to enjoy himself. I wouldn't have been there if I didn't enjoy his music.