Thursday, May 17, 2007

Manic Street Preachers - Send Away the Tigers

It was 1989 when I first heard and saw the Manics. I was in my first year at Swansea University. They rocked. It still took a couple of years for their first proper album to come out - Generation Terrorists. This great album was followed by two more before Richey Edwards went missing/committed suicide. But the first post Richy album, Everything Must Go, was pretty good ... and then...

It all went tits up musically for me. What followed were three very poor records. To be honest I had given up hope of another decent record. So, imagine my surprise when Send away the Tiger's came along. This is without a doubt the best thing the manics have done since Everything. Yes, some of it sounds a lot like other manics tunes and they seem to have been listening to GnR's Sweet Child o Mine too; but the first half of this album is pure pop/rock magic. The title track kicks things off, followed by a typical manics rocker, Underdogs, before hitting the wonderful first single Your love alone is not enough. Indian Summer, The Second Great Depression follow, keeping up the quality, before Rendition starts the downward slide.

****

Worst Track - I'm Just a Patsy.

No comments: