Thursday, May 17, 2007

Linkin Park - Minutes to Minute

First off the title makes me think of Iron Maiden's - Two Minutes to Midnight. Boy, I used to love that track. Still ok, but not the classic I remembered.

But enough. A few weeks ago I looked at Avril Lavigne's latest record - her third - and lamented how she seemed to be getting worse rather than better. Hello Linkin Park.

I love Hybrid Theory. There, I've said it. Listened to it again recently and I still think it is an excellent record. Just before the second album came out I actually said to my flat-mate that I hoped they'd split up and not release another record because they would not make a better record that Hybrid Theory. And then came Meteora ... and guess what? Sides 3 and 4 of Hybrid Theory were ok, but a lot of it wasn't really that great (with the exception of 'Faint' the only track I would actually have put on Hybrid).

So ... New album ... Rick Rubin ... over 14 months to create ... and, it really isn't very good. I will say they are trying to move away from the whole 'Nu Metal' thing - Shadow of the Day owes a lot to U2's With or Without You ! - and not just do Hybrid sides 5 & 6, but it doesn't really work for me. There are a few ok tunes - and sadly I'd argue that they are the most old LP sounding - What I've Done, No More Sorrow, In Between and In Pieces.

**

No comments: