Monday, July 30, 2007

Scorpions at Hammersmith Apollo - 30/07/07

The last time I saw the Scorpions live was 17 years ago. They were very good. Why the gap to seeing them again? I'm not sure: a general indifference to most of the material they have released since Savage Amusement most likely. Anyway, a few weeks ago on the spur of the moment I decided I needed a 'Heavy Metal' night out, so the Scorps fitted the bill. Things got more interesting when I read that Michael Schenker would also be on the bill as support with MSG. Cool.

I little research this afternoon revealed that young Micky has been back to his getting smashed ways and this had even lead to a fight with older brother Rudy just a few days ago. I also learned that Uli Roth was on the road with the boys and joining them for a few classics in the middle of the set. An interesting night beckoned.

And so to the gig.

I arrived a bit late so had missed half the MSG set. This turned out to be a blessing. Michael Schenker was having enough problems standing up, never mind playing guitar. Let us not forget this man is a fine guitarist. It was sad and embarrassing to watch. Like a bad version of Spinal Tap, which not even a few classic UFO songs could save. Michael remains a troubled soul.

But then, all was right with the world, and the Scorpions hit the stage for a set that lasted 2 hours 20 mins including encore. Kicking off with Hour 1 off their latest record (they also played 321, and Humanity off this album) it all came flooding back - the Scorpions are a fine live band. We got, the Zoo; Coast to Coast; Bad Boys Running Wild; Holiday; Big City Nights; Leaving You; Dynamite; Tease Me, Please Me; Love 'em or Leave 'Em; Deep & Dark. All pretty good, but wait ...there is more.

In the middle of this we got Uli on stage to run through: Pictured Life; Speedy's Coming; Dark Lady; We'll Burn the Sky; and (a shortened) Fly to the Rainbow. Now, one old guitar god might have been having problems knowing where the fuck he was, but Uli showed he can still play a mean guitar, and it was a treat to hear these old pre 80's Scorps tunes again. We even go another - a personal favourite - In Trance thrown in during the encores, which also featured: Still Loving You, Winds of Change; and finishing off with a fine, Rock you like a Hurricane.

I remember when I was younger, and during the 80's when if asked I would have said the Scorpions were my favourite band, and that I wanted to be Rudolf Schenker. Tonight, I remembered why. The Scorpions still rock, and Rudy remains a joy to watch on stage. I still want to be him.

No comments: