Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Single of the Year?

Yes, I know the year is ony a couple of weeks old, but I have spent it with one song continuously going through my head, and it is probably the last kind of thing I would have expected to just have fallen in love with. What is my January guilty pleasure? Taylor Swift - 'Love Story'. I think this came out in the states in October, but it has only just got a release in the UK.

I keep sitting thinking that I should be finding the lyrics twee and so packed full of sugar that it makes me want to throw up - "Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone.I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run. You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess It's a love story - baby just say 'Yes.' - but every time I hear this song I end up grinning like and idiot and feel happy and uplifted. I may need help.

The track is off Swift's second album - which I believe is perched atop the US album charts, and is set to outsell her debut album, which itself shifted quite a few copies. I have had a listen to the album, and it is a well crafted collection of country pop songs, but Love Story is - for me the stand out track: It just has a great, catchy hook, that all great pop tunes should have.

Oh, and she also happens to be pretty damn sexy too.

Ladies and genglemen I give you Taylor Swift

No comments: