1. Rick Springfield @ Shepherds Bush Empire. 4 June 2013: First time in the UK for over 30 years and whilst the set was far too short, considering that was the case, this was my most enjoyable and happy concert experience of the year and the one at which I sang virtually every line. Hope you come back again Rick, but if not, pleased finally got to see you live.
2. John Grant @ Shepherds Bush Empire. 15 May 2013: Released one of the records of the year and didn't disappoint live. Great songs, great voice and a great sense of humour.
3. Aimee Mann @Union Chapel. 17 November 2013. Essentially an intimate acoustic set. Relaxed, funny, and a set packed full of quality songs.
4. Loudon Wainwright III @ Royal Festival Hall. 3 May 2013: A set about looking back and looking forward. A mix of readings from the works of his father and new and old songs. Also the added bonus of daughter Lucy Wainwright Roche.
5. Kacey Musgraves @Shepherds Bush Empire. 13 October 2013: Country music's rising start of 2013 was a match for any hype. Great artist.
6. Todd Rundgren @Shepherds Bush Empire. 15 June 2013: In some ways this was the gig of the year, after all I did get to meet Todd before the gig and have a ten minute conversation with him. The gig itself was also surprisingly good considering the format (dance).
7. Richard Thompson @Shepherds Bush Empire. 25 February 2013: One of the finest and most original guitarist to ever come out of the UK. Also my favourite Sunni Muslim performer. Touring on the back on a very good 'Electric' album it was a lesson in reminding me just what a wonderful songwriter he is.
8. Roddy Hart & The Lonesome Fire @ The Islington. 4 September 2013: A talented singer songwriter. This marked the launch of their album – which should have sold more in my opinion. It you like you rock thoughtful but will good tunes, then this is a band for you. Great live too.
9. Summer Camp @ Heaven. 27 November 2013: Cementing the fact that the key to a really good dance record is actually to have good SONGS not just beats. Thankfully this translated to the live environment perfectly and their rolling montage of dance scenes from old movies added to the enjoyment.
10=Aimee Mann @ Royal Festival Hall. 28 January 2013: Just one of my favourite performers. This was a great gig.
10=The Leisure Society @ Shepherds Bush Empire. 5 December 2013: A very British band, but one whose songs are packed with verve and quality.