Monday, January 27, 2014

Little Steven on South Africa and Mr Simon

Great interview on backstreets.com with Steven Van Zandt ahead of Bruce Springsteen and E Street band's South Africa gigs - the first time Bruce has played there.

It is a great interview and very revelaing when he talks about Paul Simon

And he says, “What are you doing defending this guy Mandela?! He’s obviously a communist. My friend Henry Kissinger told me about where all of the money’s coming from,” and all of this. I was, like, all due respect, Paul…

But he had that attitude, and he knowingly and consciously violated the boycott to publicize his record....Yeah, and he actually had the nerve to say, “Well, I paid everybody double-scale.” Remember that one? Oh, that’s nice... no arrogance in that statement, huh?

2 comments:

Jim Marquis said...

Very interesting about Paul Simon. I never knew about that controversy.

Scott said...

It was quite a big thing in the UK I remember. There was a lot of bad feeling towards Queen for playing Sun City too, but most long since forgotten.