Saturday, December 01, 2007

The Weakerthans @ Astoria 2 (Mean Fiddler) 25/11/2007

It's November which must mean it is the Weakerthans, who I believe I have only ever seen in November on each of the three occasions I have managed to catch them, but I digress. Touring with a new album (at last) to promote - 'Reunion Tour' - it was great to see that John K Samson and the boys still rock live. Licking off with a duo of 'Our Retired Explorer'/'Civil Twilight', I knew from the off this was going to be a good one. I was not disappointed.

JKS is not the most chatty front man, but we did learn that a trip to a London gallery had inspired 'Night Windows'; and that 'Tournament of Hearts' was about that great sport curling (never played but it was prime time on sunday afternoons in Scotland when i was growing up). Also any man who can write lyrics such as "yes a penguin taught me French back in Antartica" (Our Retired Explorer) has my respect.

Set list was base heavily around the new album and the previous record ' Reconstruction Site' (which was fine by me) Still we still had space for the likes of 'Aside', 'Left and Leaving', My Favourite Chords and 'Pamphleteer'

Highlights included 'The Reasons'; 'Plea from a Cat Named Virtute' / 'Virtute the Cat Explains Her Departure'; 'Reconstruction Site'; 'Tournament of Hearts' and one of my favourite turn up to 11 songs, 'Aside'

My girlfriend - not overly impressed with them on record - thought that they came alive as a live band ... and sounded like REM. Er, well, yes I suppose in some instances they do sound like REM at their best.

Great gig, hope they're back again soon.

1 comment:

Late So Early said...

Hey, I was at this show too. My first time seeing them live, really enjoyed it (of course). I've been trying to find a complete set list. If you could help me out with any other songs you remember, I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks so much!